Saturday, January 07, 2012

LEAVE A TENDER MOMENT ALONE


As the song goes.

I was busily scanning in old slides one evening, trying to save as much as possible from the ravages of years of sitting in storage. I plan to put them all on discs and distribute them to mostly my sibs.

Some of the old photos are lost forever, and I will never know what was on then, some are damaged and some only slightly damaged. Those I can salvage a great deal of and people will have to live with what is left.

Our honeymoon came back to life once again, I see a young TLW (The Little Woman) posing in front of places all over Europe, boy were we young, and she was gorgeous then too!

I saw two grandmothers marching in a parade. One was playing a clarinet and one was flinging a baton, but they were so young!

I saw the graduations and the confirmations and days long gone.

My kids were back to the early days, two little tykes sitting on my knees, giggling when I tried to make them laugh, and when they got older, staring into the camera, wondering what Daddy would do with the picture.

But there was one picture that put me into an odd perspective.

LEAVE A TENDER MOMENT ALONE
There is this picture of my Brother-in-law John, sharing a tender moment with his infant son, about 39 years ago. He is in an infant seat and smiling, and my brother-in-law is smiling back. Looking at the photo, I felt that somehow, even though I took the photo, even though it was so long ago, that I was intruding at the moment I was viewing the slide!

If you have old slides store somewhere, they don’t last forever, get them on a disk.

1 comment:

Jim Pantaleno said...

Photos are precious Joe. Too many get misplaced or not cared for along with the memories they carry. We recently had a bunch of old 8mm home movies put on disc. Watching my kids howl with laughter and ooh and ahh over them speaks exactly to your point.