Monday, September 17, 2012

FRESH STARTS


After driving #2 Son back to SUNY/Purchase for his last year, it got me thinking about those very days when I attended college and what it was like. I remember seeing my old friends and making new ones.

Some of us hung around in cliques and some in two’s or three’s but you always got together with others and had a great time. Academically it was a mixture of friends and classes, kidding each other about our major, and even what we would be like after graduation.

There was a young lady, a beautiful girl who had jet-black hair and this incredible face, who was sweet on me. She would often stop by where I was sitting in the student lounge, and chat. She was studying to go into the TV/Radio business as a communications major. She was smart and fun: at least I could make her laugh easily enough, and she made me laugh too. The young lady had a refined way, dressed well for a college student and the manner to go with it.


My college career was tough to sustain, since I had to work s much as possible to stay in school since my parents didn’t have the money to send me. Dating was sometimes out of the question because of either the studies, including expensive art supplies and film for my photography classes, so I pretty much had to avoid committing myself to anyone, without the freedom from school.

To this day, I wonder what happened to her, if she got her career going, and if she held it against me that I never took the time to date her. After my car accident, she visited me in the hospital almost everyday, she would come and sit with me for a while and go back to class.

One day the doctor told me I was going home, and I never got to say goodbye, and I never took the time to try to get in touch with her. I was bitter that I had lost a whole semester and that I was going to be laid up for a while, so it kind of went on the back burner, without flame.

Somewhere she is hopefully married and happy with grandchildren, maybe retired from a great career, at least I hope so.

Some things are not meant to be, and some things are. I won’t regret because I got a wonderful lady myself.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO MY BEAUTIFUL NIECE LAURIE ANN O'HARA!

No comments: