Monday, September 03, 2012

IT’S WHAT WE DO


After 41 years of marriage, when things get boring we, TLW (The Little Woman) and I do something to make it interesting again. We go on a diet! (What did you think?)

Anyway, it starts with just one weekend of being bad, eating too well and feeling it. The trouble starts with TLW.

“Oh! I’m full (pushing her plate away after a nice dinner) we have to go on a diet.

“OK”

“We have been eating too well, we need to start watching again.”

“OK”

“Right after our trip we are going on a diet.”

“Why not start now?”

“Now!”

“Sure, you know what it is like when we go on any sort of vacation, we eat well, so, if we start now, we will not be in too bad of shape after the vacation.”

TLW loves to diet: she has been dieting all our married life. Getting me on board has never been a problem, and she usually doesn’t get nuts if I break it once in a while. What would really make her nuts would be for me to be on diet and her not. That would confuse her and come to think of it: it would be confusing me too.

The other morning I went into the kitchen and who do I see but TLW, she lives with me so we keep running into each other a lot. She is pouring herself a cup of coffee from the coffee pot and I am getting my coffee from the one-cup maker. I am also pouring cereal into a bowl for my breakfast. In the refrigerator is a small container of Half and Half left over from a dinner she wanted me to make so she bought it and the milk. I take both out and pour some milk into her cup for her.

“Half and Half!?” A look of amusement crosses her lips.

“Well, yes-I use the Half and Half for the coffee or it will go bad.”

There seemed to be stunned silence as I laid those words down on her, and there was NO retort, response nor reaction.

But the battle lines now have been drawn. She is watching and I know she is watching. I will now have to watch her. I know what would get her off her diet if she makes me nuts, and that is simple. On a Saturday morning when she is off, I’ll rise early and cook bacon. Bacon makes her do crazy things, so my plan is simple. I will use it only if she makes me crazy, it will be like the military plans for the invasion of Iran, made but don’t use unless absolutely necessary.

You might wonder: What kind of a husband would implore such methods? One that was using the Half and Half up before it went bad kind.

If you see my picture on a container of Half and Half someday, don't be surprised!

No comments: