Friday, September 28, 2012

NOW DON’T GET EXCITED


“OK, you can get a few copies, but don’t buy out the store!”

So went the admonishment from TLW (The Little Woman). #1 Son’s show was being featured in Entertainment Weekly and the writers were going to be hi-lighted!

When the words from TLW were half way out of her mouth, I was out the door and beginning my search for a store that carried the weekly magazine. My first stop would be Stop and Shop. I needed to buy a pie for my brother-in-law because I thought it might cheer him up a little, he suffers from Pulmonary Fibrosis and he likes apple pie. I try to visit him often and we just talk, being how he can’t get around anymore, I add to his discomfort and misery by stopping by as often as possible. So far he hasn’t thrown me out yet, so that is good.

The Stop and Shop we have nearby is bigger than Texas, and has everything. The trouble is it is so disorganized they have more than one place to put the same thing! I get my pie and some provolone cheese (I have Italian mice!) and go over to the magazine section.  The magazine section is as long as US Highway 495 and has every magazine, every magazine that is except the one I’m looking for.

TLW is echoing in my mind: “Make sure you check the check outs also!”

There are as many checkouts as there are hotels in Vegas, and so I start to look, and as I go to each one, the person next to the magazine rack is eying me suspiciously, maybe thinking I want to cut in! I don’t pay too much attention unless they pick up a can of peaches that they may aim at my head. Doing all the racks at all the checkouts, I give up my quest and leave the store, stopping for lunch it is so big.

Next I go to Barnes and Noble bookstore, and visit the rack of magazines, and there it is. I reach and notice it is not this week: which is due out today. I inquire and am told to come back at 3:00.

I visit my brother-in-law and try a 7-Eleven for a look-see for the magazine, no such luck! Off I go again as it is 3:00 pm to the Barnes and Noble store one more time. I park the car: enter the store and go to the magazine rack, nothing has changed. I want to scream, but instead look for someone to help me. I go to a checkout and plead my case, and the lady comes around and points to the newest and latest edition! There it is, I point it out to the girl, she asks me for my son’s address so she can write to him, I suggest he is married and he and I are very happy with my gorgeous daughter-in-law. I thank her and leave with four copies!

Amen.


No comments: