Saturday, February 18, 2012

I’M CONFUSED

You know that already I’m sure, but this is something that has baffled me for a while.


You have all heard the arguments about same sex marriage. I’m heterosexual, and if I have to I can prove it, but I don’t understand what the issue is. I know that people want to protect the sanctity of marriage between two people: a man and a woman, and I understand that we should teach and set good examples to our children about what is morally right.

I look at same sex marriage and I think so what? My children needed to live their own lives, make their own decisions and understand what happiness is. I can’t successfully instill that because I can’t and won’t enforce that concept, impose that will or give them the life experiences that they will encounter. They need to find their own happiness.


But what is happiness? Is it being stuck with a façade that makes others happy but you love less? What is morally right? Do I make people deny who they are, force them into a life of closeted unhappiness, and pain? Am I morally right by doing that? Can I regulate to people how they should live their lives? Do I really have that right?

What about those that marry into what is perceived as heterosexual, but in their hearts and minds know that that is not what they want? They fear ridicule and rejection, yet betray someone who had faith in their love for an eternity. Is it fair to any children they produce? All because they need a job or place to live, or God forbid, want to interact with society?

Does same-sex marriage impose anything on me? I think not, but it does impose on others who wish to practice it the fact that love lives. Is there anything wrong with love?

We can argue that marriage is between a man and wife in love. Love is important as an ingredient for marriage, is it not?


Some of those who are against gay marriage are the same people that hate gays. THEY are trying to tell society what is morally right. Excuse me: if you are a proponent of hatred, then you suspend your right to preach anything in the name of morality. Demonizing one for an innate feeling, and how he/she would express it is the next step toward other discrimination, until we suddenly find it morally justifiable to kill them or imprison them, making us no better than the Nazi world that once existed.

Gays are living together right now as I write this. There is no less sunshine on me, not less rain. I still eat and sleep and love my wife. It hasn’t affected me in the least. Would I marry a man absolutely not, because I don’t find men attractive to live with in a marital relationship. But others do, so what?

What is love? According to: http://www.merriam-webster.com

a (1) : strong affection for another arising out of kinship or personal ties (2) : attraction based on sexual desire : affection and tenderness felt by lovers (3) : affection based on admiration, benevolence, or common interests b : an assurance of affection
2
: warm attachment, enthusiasm, or devotion
3
a : the object of attachment, devotion, or admiration b (1) : a beloved person : darling —often used as a term of endearment (2) British —used as an informal term of address
4
a : unselfish loyal and benevolent concern for the good of another: as (1) : the fatherly concern of God for humankind (2) : brotherly concern for others b : a person's adoration of God
5
: a god or personification of love
6
: an amorous episode : love affair
7
: the sexual embrace : copulation

Nowhere does it mention between a man and a woman.

Definition of MARRIAGE
1
a (1) : the state of being united to a person of the opposite sex as husband or wife in a consensual and contractual relationship recognized by law (2) : the state of being united to a person of the same sex in a relationship like that of a traditional marriage b : the mutual relation of married persons : wedlock c : the institution whereby individuals are joined in a marriage
2
: an act of marrying or the rite by which the married status is effected; especially : the wedding ceremony and attendant festivities or formalities
3
: an intimate or close union
See marriage defined for English-language learners »
See marriage defined for kids »
Examples of MARRIAGE
1.It was his second marriage.
2.They have a very happy marriage.
3.Her first two marriages ended in divorce.
4.She has old-fashioned ideas about marriage.
5.couples living together before marriage
6.Many friends and relatives were present at their marriage.
7.a priest who has performed many marriages
8.a marriage of sweet and spicy flavors
9.a marriage of science and art
10.a marriage between form and function
Origin of MARRIAGE
Middle English mariage, from Anglo-French, from marier to marry
First Known Use: 14th century
Related to MARRIAGE
Synonyms: conjugality, connubiality, match, matrimony, wedlock

You can define the act of marriage, because it is something we do, but we can’t regulate it because it is something we do.

I hear the protesters, the anti-gay marriage people saying they won't accept same sex marriage, I say it is not yours to accept, but theirs.


Can’t we just live our own lives in peace and quiet?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Really well said. I hope you don't mind, but I linked to it on my Facebook page. I think it's a very important point of view and it makes me very proud to be your son.

-#1 Son

Anonymous said...

Well written, sir! Whatever happened to "judge not, lest ye be judged"?
Roger Hyde (Father in law to #1 son!)

Mary Ann said...

Great blog Joe! I have many friends struggling with this. In honor of them, and I hope you don't mind, I will post this on my fb.

Laura ESL Teacher said...

Well said! I hate people who feel the need to impose their version of morality onto others, especially when they do it in the name of Jesus or religion, or worse in the name of "preserving the sanctity of marriage." The divorce rate is still around 50% and adultery runs rampant, so I don't think leting 2 people of the same gender marry is going to affect the "sanctity" of anything.