Monday, February 20, 2012

I STILL GOT IT!

The other night I had to go to the church to photograph the little darlings of the 2nd grade who are making their First Holy Communion. It is my job to create a poster with their class picture on it.

As I sat waiting for the last of the kiddies to show up, the teacher was talking about the 7 sacraments to her young charges. As a young pup myself in Our Lady of Lourdes in Brooklyn, I had to as a student learn the 7 sacraments.

Sitting listening to the teacher talk to seven year olds about the seven sacraments suddenly put me on the spot. I hadn’t thought about the subject since my last day in second or third grade! Did I know them? Would these little kids know more than I did about what I should have known most of my life?

I was afraid to test myself, so I had a little conversation with myself, I thought that if I don’t know them, I better stay for the rest of the class.

Well I started by thinking that maybe if I look at it from life experiences, maybe I wouldn’t have to stay for the class if I figured it out. One by one I thought: baptism, communion, confirmation, marriage, holy orders came to mind, extreme unction, I had six fingers and I couldn’t remember the seventh! Time was running out, how would I explain to the teacher I needed to stay for her class, and 39 year old man (It’s MY blog) needing a refresher course. Then it hit me, confession. Confession! Something I needed to go to, that was it! I could go home and watch Bowling for Dollars, I didn’t have to stay; I didn’t embarrass myself after all.

I guess I’m really saintly, if you overlook a few things.

2 comments:

Jim Pantaleno said...

Don't worry Joe, they have pepperoni pizza in Hell.

Joseph Del Broccolo said...

OH, GOOD! I'd hate to spend eternity with it.