Sunday, February 26, 2012

FROM A NOOK TO A KINDLE


It’s all the same to me.

NOOK
Last year because TLW (The Little Woman) is such a great wife and mother, I went out and purchased her a Kindle. I decided to get her one because she likes to read, in fact she can read me like a book, or is that a ‘Kindle’ now?

Before investing, I asked her if she would be interested in one, and here is what she said, like she said about the laptop I got her. “No!”

I instantly knew I would get her one, so out I went and at Best Buy inquired. The salesman was very helpful and gave me all the options. I decided to err on the side of caution and purchased your basic Kindle, a standard 3-speed with white walls and bench seats. I wrapped it up and stuck it in her Christmas stocking, it’s big and she expects me to fill it every year.

KINDLE
Like the Christmas before, with the laptop, she was surprised but seemed skeptical that she would know how to use it. Inside of one week, like the laptop, she is deeply into it. She used to spend a whole day with her laptop, then decoded that a whole day was too much. Now she uses the laptop only a half day, and the Kindle the other half.

I got to thinking: I don’t have a Kindle, so while at the library, I see a poster that says you can borrow a Nook from them. This intrigued me, so I went ahead and borrowed one. A Nook, a Kindle, it’s all Rock N’ Roll to me.

“Real simple to use, just press this to turn it on and press this to turn the pages.” intoned the librarian.

Walking out filled with confidence from my crash course in Nooks, I get home eager to try it. Well, I could turn it on like she said, but there is where I got lost. How do you get a book, do I select one from one of the buttons that are on the sides? I experiment and find out a few things, 1) that I need to follow the tutorial, and B) the tutorial is very long, filled with instructions I really don’t fell like reading.

I place the thing down on the coffee table and cry, just a gentle sob, then with great resolve, a full-blown cascade of tears. After moping up the rug I decide that it will not defeat me, I’d wait to ask TLW! My feeling is you should always have a plan B.

But no, I decide that I will be the man, I will figure it all out myself. I can set up two platforms of computers and hook the internet up for both, and I can operate both Mac and PC’s!

I get the Nook out once more, make a sandwich, then I go to the bathroom, check my e-mail and see if the mailman came yet. Darn, I need to get something out of the freezer for dinner tonight, and oh, silly me, did I make the bed? I better check. Well to make this short story long, I finally get to the Nook, and read “Demonic”, but I’m not sure if it’s the book I am reading, or if the Nook is telling me something.

No comments: