Friday, February 03, 2012

REVERSE DISCRIMINATION


The other night, TLW (The Little Woman) was upset. As we were almost ready to sit down and eat, she took a seat opposite from where she usually sits for dinner and begins to tell me about her evening so far.

It was after her Wednesday night course for the little 2nd grade heathens on their journey to learn about Jesus and she was angry.

“You won’t believe what happened tonight.”

I was in doubt already. “What happened?”

“Well the class sometimes has a run of having to use the toilet, and they go off, come back and then I like to keep the door closed. After the last child returned I closed the door, which faces the main entrance to the church.”

So far I knew that to be true. “And?”

“Well, I finally hear this loud knock on the outside door, the choir practice had stopped for a few moments so I could hear it. I go see what the noise is, and this woman is on the outside of the locked church doors, so I open them. She then begins to lecture me on the fact that she has no car, had to take a bus to the church, the children saw her and didn’t open the door, and because she was black I didn’t open it for her, saying I looked at her and didn’t open it for her!”

“I hope you told her off.”

“You know me, I’m not prejudice, I did not see her standing there! The nerve of her lecturing me like I was a child! You’ve seen her, she’s in the church choir.”

“Well we all sometimes do that, not really paying attention, something or someone is there and you are pre-occupied and completely miss it or them! Besides, how can you come to a church and make accusations like that?”

“Yes, plus she WAS black, and it was dark out!”

“Did you tell her that you DON’T open doors for black women who come to church in a bus?”

If you know TLW, you know she is not prejudice. The only people she discriminates against are white males over 65 who are married to her. In all my years of marriage, she has never uttered a prejudice word. Her parents and family are like that too, so when someone assumes something like her being prejudice, you know that person is not credible.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So rude and unfair. And not very Christian. You would think someone that sings in a Church choir wouldn't be so cynical and accusatory. You should have told her you don't open doors for bad singers.

-#1 Son

Jim Pantaleno said...

Maybe she was just having a bad day. Too bad she took it out on poor Ellen.