Saturday, February 11, 2012

6 OF 1, HALF A DOZEN OF ANOTHER


I entered the house armed; I had corn chip scoops, TLW’s (The Little Woman’s) Mexican dip and a six-pack. I was invited to view the Super Bowl at my neighbor Richie and Allyson’s home along with my next-door neighbor the Lovely Carol and children who are all members of the hood.

I am a Jets fan and I was watching the archrivals of the Jets, namely the Patriots and the Giants shoot it out for all the marbles.

As we gathered around the TV, I started to think: What the hell am I watching this for? No Jets. I kind of reminded me why I don’t watch the World Series, no Mets.

The room was swelling with chips, dips and happy Giants fans, as I tried to get excited about a New York team, then I remembered: I can’t root for these guys, TLC (The Lovely Courtney) is a Patriot fan. But rooting for Tom Brady was like rooting for Joe Stalin. So I tried rooting for Tom Coughlin and the Giants, which was like rooting for Adolf Hitler!

I decided to do what any rational person would do under similar circumstances, and got me some beer, dip, chips and a chicken sandwich that was a thing of beauty. Suddenly things started to make sense for me. My choice was clear, very definite. I would select… the soft tacos later.

It’s not easy being a Jets fan during the Super Bowl: you have to have the stomach to watch. What I mean is you generally have to get up and go to the frig because there usually is nothing to watch when the Jets play. I know because I’ve been doing it for years. I’ve sat for some epic sandwiches, and chips that I die for, and may yet still!

As the game got to the end, we were all on the edges of our seats, glued to the TV. Suddenly, with only seconds left, Tom Brady dropped back, sending in Wes Welker to the end zone, unleashing a “Hail Mary” pass. We all watched as it rose quickly to the end zone, flooded by both the offensive and defensive squads of the two rival teams, life and death struggles. The pass descended slowly into the crowd of outreached hands, the game on the line, a catch and the Patriots win, a deflection and the Giants win… I jumped out of my seat, there was still a piece of pound cake left!

You know the shame of it all? It didn’t have two losers.

1 comment:

Jim Pantaleno said...

I'm a Jets fan too but I could never root against the Giants. Their was a great season and a great Super Bowl. Jets need to dump Sanchez and get a real QB.