Friday, August 15, 2008

AND THE RACE IS ON


The other day I was on my way to a meeting in Bohemia. It seems I’m still wanted for something besides giving generously to some strange charity that calls me every day or so.

As I meandered along this country road toward my final destination, this SUV comes barreling up from behind me, criss crossing the traffic along the way, and swerving in front of me. Being a man of gentility, I merely referred to his lack of a father, and continued on my merry way, spreading cheer where I could at that stage.

Off the scoundrel went, into the distance, hopefully never to be seen again. As I approached the distant light, what do I see but, Lo and behold (WHAT does that mean?); the fatherless chap I had christened.

Once again, as the light changed, (It might have been re-painted because it was very long) the Daddy-less chump sped off once more, zigging and zagging, crissing and crossing, along the narrow lane of one-way traffic.

Once again, I meet up with the son of a female fox terrier, at the turning light. Lo and behold, (There is that dammed phrase again!) the fatherless chap is now turning in the same direction I’m going in! Now he has open highway! Now he can burn some rubber, put the peddle to the metal so to speak. What does he do?

Pulling in behind a slow moving cement truck, he casually pulls out a cigarette and proceeded to follow the truck, losing ground on him. I passed the lout and waved at him, telling him he was #1 in my book. Maybe not in the right finger.

No comments: