Monday, August 11, 2008

WE LIP-SYNC OUR PRAISES, OH LORD!


TLW (The Little Woman) and I went off to church this morning, and sat in our usual pew. That is: not too close, but close enough.

We don’t have a choir at the 8:30 A.M. Mass, but we do have two ladies, one with a guitar and one playing the organ or whatever it is she is playing.

Before throwing out the first prayer by the Priest, one of the ladies refers us to a piece of music in the hymnbook to sing. I took a survey. Including me, no one is singing! Oh, we all look like we are, but we’re not!

We are all lip-syncing. Yes, our lips move, but no noise. The other thing is that no one is looking anywhere but in the book. No point in catching the eye of the lady who is leading us. She might urge us to sing out loud.

The Priest surveys the congregation, looking for stragglers so to speak, but he really can’t tell.

I developed a routine in front of the mirror, where I use body emphasis to make me look I’m singing. I am remarkably convincing in my act. I look like I’m singing, but someone turned off the volume.

Why don’t I sing? I try it often, in the car, when driving alone. I sound just like Pavarotti, or Sinatra, depending on the music choice. I go into church to give the gift to others, and I get warning glares, people straining their necks to see where the water pipe burst is or the cow is dying.

They hurt my feelings.

1 comment:

Laura L-V said...

if I went to your church, I know I would enjoy your singing. Keep it up! God isn't glaring at you, just some of his grumpy followers and they don't count. - (MFF)