Thursday, October 13, 2011

WHERE DO THEY KEEP THE RUBBER DUCKY?


I was on one of our tours for a company. The day would be spent in the Bronx, and that morning in the Bronx Zoo. A guide would take us through the Congo area where the trail eventually leads to the gorilla section.

As we walk the winding trail, we suddenly stop, and people are all excited. I look around and see everyone looking in one direction. I notice a small telescope pointed toward the ground, beyond the fence. There is some laughing, but I’m not paying attention because I’m busy shooting a picture of an animal off in the distance.

With me is my partner who is busy counting the people in our group, as I am doing, to make sure no one straggles or gets lost.

Coming up to the fixed position telescope, I look into it and there sits this large snake! All curled up like a garden hose, looking very menacing! I’m impressed! A big old snake: looking menacing, looking dangerous, looking hungry, looking ready to strike. I wonder how they manage to keep the snake in that position and why the telescope is fixed into position, you can’t move it?   

I take my camera and start shooting, taking great pains to get the whole thing. I hear what sounds to me to be my partner laughing. Pam is on a roll, the volume intensifying as I jockey in position for the picture of this wild life phenomenon. I wonder what is so funny? She is looking at me, and bent over in the giggles, which are getting louder.

Me: “What is so funny?”


“That is a rubber snake! You are shooting a picture of a fake snake!”

Why the hell would a zoo with live animals put a rubber snake on exhibit? WHY?

Working with my partner can have its consequences, from presenting a presentation where I nudge her under the table with my foot because she is confused and I know what is going on but didn't tell her to rearranging someone’s sushi lunch because we think IT IS fake!

I have to live with the fact that I shot a rubber snake! Who will remind me but TLP.

No comments: