Saturday, October 15, 2011

WHOA!


It’s funny where life takes you: you just go along for the ride. 39 years ago, who knew where it would take TLW (The Little Woman) and me.

As we sat in our recliners, watching the Big Bang Theory, a show #1 Son helped to write, we anticipated his name appearing in the credits. Yes, my son’s name would be on TV once again. It is something that never gets stale.

I remember when #2 Son graduated from elementary school. Awards were being given out to the students for various reasons, and suddenly his name was read out! It lifted me from my chair, I thought: “My son!”

Then #1 went to work for my company and I was suddenly his father! I had lost my identity, and he was making a name for himself.  And when he was writing for TV, and sometimes appeared on the shows, it would cause TLW and me to jump out of our chairs with excitement.

But I remember the Saturday mornings when he was a little kid, watching his cartoons, having a child’s life. I remember the ball playing, the catches, the sports talk, the songs I would sing that made him laugh, I don’t remember thinking he would be on a national televised TV show, his name in the credits. But I do remember telling him that he could be anything, ANYTHING he wanted to be, because he had the tools to be successful, he was only 5 or 6 at the time.

I’m glad I can’t take credit for what he’s done. He did this all himself, by himself, but yet I sometimes think he did it for his mother and me. And so now he reaps the benefits of his hard work, his self-dedication and work ethic.

I know that pride is not supposed to be a good thing, but I don’t know how to describe the feeling about him his mother and I have, without that word.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, thanks! I couldn't have done it without you guys and all the songs and the ball playing and the encouragement!

-#1 Son

Anonymous said...

You are both most deserving of your parental pride.ss-i-l