Thursday, May 24, 2012

MY CIVIC DUTY


You should never rush out to the mail-box, there may be some mail for YOU!

I should know, it happened to me. It was a business letter size white envelope with the dreaded court logo. Yes those people that call every now and then and say: “OK, no plans for the week of, you are on call, this is what you get for voting, paying your taxes, and paying for a driver’s license. We are currently looking for more ways to inconvenience you and/or annoy you. Our recent successes include the airport screening and new road work projects that have all the lanes merging into one with no workers in sight. 

Of course as an American citizen, I should be happy to do this because of all the guys and gals that gave up their lives for this privilege. AND, I should be happy to be on the right side of the jury fence, too!

“So, you got a jury summons!” Announced my mother-in-law’s daughter, a.k.a. TLW (The Little Woman).

“Noooo, it’s a questionnaire!”

TLW: “Boy! When was the last time you got called?”

“Back in 2004.”

TLW: “I think I’ll call them to tell them it’s been a while for you. At least you get called for the local court, I had to go to Federal Court in Brooklyn!”

“Come to think of it, the last time you went was 1999! When you are done calling about me, let me know so I can call about you!”

TLW: “RIGHT!”



1 comment:

Jim Pantaleno said...

The last time I got called for jury duty, Clarence Darrow was the attorney for the defense.