Saturday, May 26, 2012

WALKING IN THE RAIN


Every morning as part of my pathetic attempt at losing weight and getting healthier, I walk. Yes, that time consuming annoyance called exercise gets into my naptime and really throws my plans off.

To make the time pass, I am writing a short story and as I walk I think abut the next chapter. If you ever read the story: “Growing Up Brooklyn”, you will know it was written out of breath.

As I walk I look at the gray rainy day and see all the colors that stand out along the way. Sometimes I make mental notes of things, and sometimes I do take the time to smell the roses, or the grass, or the rain as it hits the pavement. All these things become magnified when you are alone. It helps to heighten your awareness of the worlds around you and give you the solace needed to think about life and all there is to do.

Of course creating while you walk is a very healthy and smart thing to do.  Why? Because you are making your blood flow at a quicker rate and stimulating your brain a little better. Some of my most creative moments come from the shower, or Inspiration Falls, and my forced march to health. I can get excited about any project in those two instances.

However while walking one past morning in the rain about 6:45 am, I had a light jacket with a hood that I had up, and my baseball cap placed over it. As I turned the corner toward my house and just before my next-door neighbor’s house, Carole, I hear this laugh, a woman’s laugh and it is loud. This is never good for me and sure enough there is Carol looking at me and laughing at me in my ‘hoodie’!

“I’m almost 67 years old and don’t care what people think anymore!” I announced and she sticks a camera up and says: “I have to show this to people so they know what I have to deal with on my way to work!”

1 comment:

Jim Pantaleno said...

Like. (Oh sorry, thought I was on Facebook.)