Tuesday, May 01, 2007

MAKING APPOINTMENTS FOR DISAPPOINTMENTS

Today must be a day for me to stay in bed. First I received a letter from the agency I volunteer for, asking that since I work or am exposed to the medically fragile, I should go for a tuberculosis test. What they do is stick a needle under your skin and wait two days to see if it discolors, if it does, you can’t volunteer. This test must be done one year from the last one, and according to the needle Nazi I spoke with, NOT A MOMENT SOONER!

Can I make it a few weeks ahead of schedule? Yes, but she doesn’t do it a few weeks ahead of schedule, but she knows a nurse who will, “Let me put you through” says Frauline Needlemeyer. As the new nurse’s phone rings and no answer, I leave a message to call me back. Will I get a call back, you think?

Then I call my cardiologist for an appointment. He is very old and skinny. In his late 70’s, and still practicing (I wish he would get it right already) I went to visit him in December, and was told to make an appointment in 6 months. (If I’m alive in 6 months, he’ll make another appointment, if he’s alive in 6 months I’ll get another appointment, if we are both alive in 6 months, someone is certainly getting older but richer.

I go to the appointment maker and she tells me she can’t make an appointment that far in advance, to call in April. Well, Happy New Year-April rolls around and I call. “Sorry says Ms. Heartline but she doesn’t make appointments that far in advance, I should call in May! I know the guy is old, but they are really hedging their bets here! I’m sure when I call in May I will be told that I can’t be fitted in until August, because the good Doctor is all booked up, so call in July. I feel a pattern coming on here.

No comments: