Sunday, May 27, 2007

PEOPLE I LOVE

There are people in this world, no matter how hard they try to avoid me; I still love them.

During my luncheon with my fellow co-workers of yesteryear, one of those people was a writer that exuded class and the principles of Christianity, as I never could. Her name is Susan, or Sue, or as I nicknamed her “The Horn” a shortened version of her last name. She is a tiny thin little Jewish lady that has a body too small for all the class she brings to the table. This is a woman who is slow as molasses, but fast on winning people over. She took my abuse with grace and dignity, and was always there for you if you needed anyone at all. Her humor was probably her next greatest asset after her wonderful heart, and I am glad that I know her, because she taught me that life is bigger than myself.

Then there is Elliot another writer who when I saw him, fell down on his knees and started bowing, telling everyone within earshot how as a pup writer he came to me one day, uncertain about what he could do, I sat down with him, and his natural talents took over. For some reason he gave me credit for his starting out successfully. We would always chat and he would go on about his children as he came back to PCH in his second time around. Always a good guy, always cheerful, and he gave my ego a huge boost yesterday.

Then there are the three troublemakers, Jan, Kathy and Carole, old stalwarts of PCH, probably the most fun you could have with three people. They are like sisters, and they always picked on their younger brother: me. Jan was the instigator, they idea gal, Kathy the mouthpiece, kept me from getting a word in edge-wise and Carole the executioner of the idea. Both generally aimed it at me, and when they were done, we all laughed ourselves silly.

Then last but not least is Sue, my client and former secretary to the president of the company. We would walk together every lunch hour during the spring, summer and fall for exercise, and was in constant litigation with my lawyers: Wheel, Cheatem and Howe.

Great memories and great people are all I have now.

No comments: