Saturday, May 26, 2007

THE PARTY IS THE MESSAGE

Last Saturday night we had the 89th birthday party for Mom, and she loved every bit of it. The food was a hit as was the gift and the guest of honor seemed genuinely touched.

It’s nice to see my sisters all in one room for a change, laughing and chatting and relaying their lives and appetizers to the rest of us. We all made an appetizer and had the dinner catered, while I bought my contribution by going to Albert’s Pizzeria on Portion Road in Ronkonkoma, NY where they were kind enough to cut it into many small pieces to be used as an appetizer. The pizza is called a “Grandma” pie, with fresh crushed plum tomatoes and fresh garlic and basil as the topping. It is the best, and was indeed a big hit to everyone who ate!

Accompanying Mom was her boyfriend, who gave her a present and a kiss on the lips that seemed strange to me to see it happen. Don’t get me wrong, Mom is entitled to be happy and I hope she is, but I never saw her kiss anyone but her Uncle, and my father when he was alive.

Life is getting predictable as all the men retreated in front of the TV to watch the Mets play the Yankees or fall asleep sitting in a low slung position on the couch and chairs with wine glasses all around, half filled. The women sat at the dining room table competing for word domination as they chatted and chatted over the course of the evening.

I did my part, testing every variation of appetizer presented and seriously testing the red wine for purity, consistency in glass after glass, and to see generally if I could sustain my sobriety and not embarrass TLW (The Little Woman/Winner.)

No comments: