Saturday, May 05, 2007

SHALL WE DANCE?

The other day TLW (The Little Woman) opened up the local newspaper to announce that there was a dance course being offered at one of the local schools. The dance is the Fox Trot, and TLW was inquiring if I would be interested in taking the dance course with her.

Let me tell you, the last time I had to trot I ate something that didn’t agree with me. In fact, the trot became a rumba quickly into the routine as someone was occupying the restroom. By the time I got in it was the twist!

Being a good sport that I am, and any chance to dance with TLW, I said “yes” and now pray that I don’t get any abuse from TLW if she dances with stars, mainly from my stepping on her feet.

I love to dance as it runs in my family. My dad once danced up in the living room one day while he was trying to fill his cigarette lighter, and somehow the lighter fluid slipped out of his hand, and caught fire on the rug, Dad doing a flamingo style dance step with heavy foot pounding.

Every Sunday, TLW, after returning from church and shopping will dance into the house and quickly jump into the kitchen and a cup of coffee with the grace of Ginger Rodgers.

My dancing is more than just dance, but an expression of our American heritage, as I do an Indian style Sitting Bull with his moccasin hotfooted. You have to see it to believe it.

But my favorite dancer is my daughter Ellen, who has perfected her famous shuffle whenever she sees us, pushing us forward and shuffling us along. This can be a two or three-person dance, no music needed as are all the dances mentioned above, just have a car handy for a quick get-a-way to some fun or eats.

No comments: