Thursday, November 06, 2008

THE ELECTION


Take a breath. Sit back and relax. Think of nothing. The election is over. No more politics, promises, speeches and ads. One man won, one man lost. Let’s get over it and move on.

I think that Obama winning will have some good effects on America. We will no longer have to live with discrimination as a factor toward the black man. America didn’t respond that way. I think the majority of McCain supporters voted for whom they thought was the best man, not the white man. In all fairness, the black man voted for not Obama but blacks. The blacks were given an opportunity to grow and prosper as white people do. I’m not surprised, and I think we should congratulate them for doing so. We all have to give light to one another. They have worked hard and suffered for just such a day. It was a day for America to stand in the sunlight and be respected for who we are as a people.

One of the pictures that is vivid and always comes alive in my historical remembrances is one of 9/11. Running for their lives after being attached, by outsiders, ash covered people hurried in fear away from the building called the World Trade Center. I was appalled that they had to flee from attack in their own country. They were Americans. Small, tall, man and woman, black and white, they were all Americans. They were my fellow Americans, and I felt nothing but anger.

Now that President-elect Obama has done a remarkable and truly historical job of winning, he has opened the door for all minorities to join in. Some day soon, a woman will be president, and rightfully so. I think that a woman would be great for America. It would probably make us compassionate as a nation. I have worked for woman, as bosses and clients, they are just as smart as men, and deserve respect. Just think of your mothers and wives or sisters.

As for Senator McCain, he was a victim of the times. He is a good, honorable American man, who ran a courageous and vigorous campaign. He deserved to be President. He was able to, and earned all our respect for his senatorial service, and for his fortitude and courage in the face of the North Vietnamese scum that ran the Hanoi Hilton. Thanks, Senator. We were lucky this time. We have too great men who will I’m sure make America proud.

Please remember my pal Joan.
I got good news today, my pal Anita is going to win! Thanks for your prayers; she is a great gal! Now work your magic for Joan, another great gal.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice, inspiring post. Just one quibble...

What about the white man who voted for Obama? Which actually made up 47% of all whites. What were they voting for? Surely not the black man for the sake of his being black. I think your generalization that all blacks were just voting for the black man is a little simplistic. The guy won and now has a mandate -- and you can't achieve that just by getting blacks voting for blacks.

Anonymous said...

The above comment was from #1 son who is too lazy to create a blogger name. He also has a quibble with his own post...

He should have written "white man/woman" as women now have the right to vote.

-#1 Son

Joseph Del Broccolo said...

I took it for granted that the white man who voted for Obama because he thought Obama was the right man. There was no need to question that. I think that the blacks that voted for Obama had to vote that way because of pride, and the need to finally have one of their own in the White House. By the way, 7 million out of the total of over 100 million, is not a mandate unless you count the electorial college vote.

Anonymous said...

The Electoral College is the only thing that matters. If it didn't, Al Gore would have been President in 2000. He won the popular vote over Bush. I betcha want to count the electoral college vote now?

And what I was saying is that you can't speak for an entire race of people that isn't even your own race. I'm guessing (because I don't know this for sure because I am not black), but I am guessing there were some rich black people who voted for McCain because they didn't want their "wealth spread around." Or black people who are Pro Life and can't vote for a Pro Choice candidate. There might be some people like that out there.