Saturday, November 29, 2008

WHEN ANGELS VISIT

Thanksgiving was very special this year. I was lucky to spend it with my family and see that life goes on. Although not all my sisters were present physically, they were in my heart. The laughter, and good food all lend a kind of special blessing to things. TLW (The Little Woman), #2 Son and my little angel, Ellen, made it extra special. I wish #1 Son were there to share. #1 Son was there in spirit.

My Mom sat and watched us laugh, cook, and carve. She ate in silence and I think just watched what she had started so long ago. The children, grandchildren and great grandchildren came together to reaffirm our being, and to share.

Perhaps having my daughter stay for the whole day, sitting and enjoying herself for the first time was special. I can remember just a moment of time in the day, of her sitting with everyone, allowing her Mom and I to enjoy the company.

You know, having a child with special needs is a grave responsibility. You can only rely so much on society to protect her. As her father, I need to watch for her wellbeing. Little Ellen defines TLW and me. We live for her each day. She is my special angel.

It must have been cold there in my shadow,
To never have sunlight on your face.
You were content to let me shine, that's your way.
You always walked a step behind.

So I was the one with all the glory,
While you were the one with all the strain.
A beautiful face without a name for so long.
A beautiful smile to hide the pain.

Did you ever know that you're my hero,
And everything I would like to be?
I can fly higher than an eagle,
For you are the wind beneath my wings.

It might have appeared to go unnoticed,
But I've got it all here in my heart.
I want you to know I know the truth,
of course I know it.
I would be nothing without you.


Please remember Joan and DD, and all that need our prayers.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Joe:

I loved this blog. I have a special needs grandchild, and found this very touching.

Jim