Tuesday, November 18, 2008

MY BABY SISTER, MARYANN


A long time ago, in Brooklyn New York, Mom left the house, and a few days later returned with somebody else. She had done that once before, and frankly, it was kind of scary.

All day, all night, Mary Ann
Down by the seaside siftin' sand
Even little children love Mary Ann
Down by the seaside siftin' sand.


When she left, it was a cold November 18th, and I had to go to school. My sister Frances, upset about Mom leaving her, ran under a stool, and refused to come out! Mom left my aunt in charge, as she and Dad descended the stairs and left us. When he got home, that afternoon, he announced that we now had a new baby sister. My sister Theresa thought: “Great, another one I have to watch!” I thought: “Great, down the pecking order another notch!” And my sister Fran thought: “Great, I’m stuck under this stool!”

Mary Ann, Oh, Mary Ann
Oh, won't you marry me?
We can have a bamboo hut
With brandy in the tea
Leave your fat old mama home
(sorry Mom, it’s in the lyrics!)
She never will say yes
If your mama don't know now
She can guess (it's in the mail now!)


Mary Ann was Mom’s favorite. SHE, had naturally curly hair. SHE was named ‘Mary’ after my Mom’s Mom! I was really out of luck now!

All day, all night, Mary Ann
Down by the seaside siftin' sand
Even little children love Mary Ann
Down by the seaside siftin' sand.


Mom planted a bassinette between the kitchen and dining room, right in front of the refrigerator. So, whenever MaryAnn (who was Mom’s favorite) cried, Mom got her milk, ASAP. This also kept me from the refrigerator. If I moved the bassinette, Mary Ann (who was Mom’s favorite) would cry.

When she walks along the shore
People pause to greet
White birds fly around her
Little fish come to her feet
In her heart is love
But I'm the only mortal man
Who's allowed to eat after
My Mary Ann(Everybody!)


Well, Mary Ann (who was Mom’s favorite), grew to be a fine woman and mother. She raised two beautiful and wonderful people. Her kids make us all proud. They love their Mom and she loves them.

All day, all night, Mary Ann
Down by the seaside siftin' sand
Even little children love Mary Ann
Down by the seaside siftin' sand.


There was some sadness a few years ago. Carl, Mary Ann’s (who was Mom’s favorite) husband, passed on, and the kids, while in college wanted to quit and help her out financially. She would have nothing to do with that. “You stay in school” she admonished them. They in turn, paid back her faith in them, and more.

And when we marry, we will have
A time you never saw
I will be so happy
I will kiss my mother-in-law (Phooey!)
Children by the dozen
In and out the bamboo hut
One for every palm tree
And cocunut (Don't rush me!)


Mary Ann (who was Mom’s favorite) decided one day that she would make a new life for herself. She would sell her home and move south, start out fresh. She became an airline stewardess and fly around the country, like a bird, free and happy.

All day, all night, Mary Ann
Down by the seaside siftin' sand
Even little children love Mary Ann
Down by the seaside siftin' sand.
Down by the seaside siftin' sand...


Today is Mary Ann’s (who was Mom’s favorite) birthday! Whenever I hear that song by Harry Belafonte, ‘Mary Ann’, I think of her. It came out around her birthday.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, MARY ANN!

WE ALL LOVE YOU!

Please remember my pals Joan and DD.

Thanks.

No comments: