Thursday, January 15, 2009

DÉJÀ VU ALL OVER AGAIN

It seems if anything, I am consistent! Last year around this time, I completely missed TLW’s (The Little Woman’s) brother Dennis’ birthday. This year I am a little closer to the date than I was last year! HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DENNIS!

The next two days (Thursday and Friday) I will be in the Cape Cod area, to say ‘goodbye’ to a wonderful human being, Joan, my brother-in-law Tom’s sister. I will try to post in spite of the trip, but my fingers may be too frozen when I get back from the cold.

I will be driving up with my Polish brother-in-law, John, and my older sister (Much older) Tessie. Tess hates that name, but I think every family should have a Tess or Tessie. I had two! Mom had a sister named Theresa, as did Dad. I tried to get my kids to say: “Aunt Tessie” but Tessie bribed the brats not to say it.

We have nicknames for everyone in our family, once we get to know you. This habit or tradition comes from Dad’s side of the family. This was not to ridicule or diss anyone, but to give one a distinct personality that matched something about them. However, there were a few that kind of slipped through the cracks. For instance, a lady had a rather unpleasant odor on her person. She was my grandmother’s friend, and she couldn’t speak English. We called her: the smelly lady”. The Smelly Lady had a husband who we thought was a communist, so we called him: “The Communist.” He used to argue a lot against anything that my father, uncles and grandfather believed in about the USA. This was way back in the early 1950’s. For a commie, he had a well-nourished wife, and he dressed like he was a man about town, very debonair! Some commie!

It was 38 years ago that I got engaged to TLW! Those were magical days! The years have gone by, but the magic is still there for me.

Happy anniversary, TLW, I love you!

Please remember DD and all the people in YOUR lives that need our hopes and prayers for recovery.

No comments: