Thursday, January 22, 2009

AND A ONE AND A TWO!


It wasn’t all singing on the living room floor for Ellen. We had to sing in the car, too! If the drive would occupy more than 20 minutes, our special ‘Momma Mitch Miller’ would appear behind the wheel. Sometimes I swore I saw a goatee grow for a moment on TLW (The Little Woman)!

There's a new world somewhere
They call The Promised Land
And I'll be there some day
If you will hold my hand
I still need you there beside me
No matter what I do
For I know I'll never find another you


The two car seats were packed with participants, as Little Ellen and #1 Son, sang along with Momma. With their little feet sticking out from their car seats, one would swing to the music, and one would giggle with delight!

There is always someone
For each of us they say
And you'll be my someone
For ever and a day
I could search the whole world over
Until my life is through
But I know I'll never find another you


When I was driving, alone or with TLW, the drill was the same for self-preservation: sing along with Mitch, #1 Son and sometimes Momma. If we didn’t, #1 Son would talk up a blue streak, while little Ellen would complain in her own way!

It's a long, long journey
So stay by my side
When I walk through the storm
You'll be my guide, be my guide

One day, while driving to my Mother-in-laws house, I had the two kids in the back seat. I stopped for a light, and started the choral cascade of oldies. When I turned my head, next to me, waiting for the light was a lady, fascinated by my gyrations as I sung along. My fear was she would stop her car and call the police!

If they gave me a fortune
My treasure would be small
I could lose it all tomorrow
And never mind at all
But if I should lose your love, dear

TLW had no fears of discovery. I’m sure she felt that if anyone dared call the police, she would give them the kids to entertain, until she was sprung from jail. Besides, she needed the rest!

I don't know what I'll do
For I know I'll never find another you


Both our Mother’s loved to sing. When I was growing up, my Mom sang while she worked around the house, and they were the same songs that Mitch Miller used.
TLW, similarly, learned from the very records that we sang along with! So, it is natural for #1 Son to sing along. I hope he continues to this day to sing, at least to himself.

But if I should lose your love, dear
I don't know what I'll do
For I know I'll never find another you


And that is MY love story for the day!

Please remember DD, and all those that need our prayers.

No comments: