Tuesday, January 20, 2009

BEING HOME


I did most of my growing up when I had children! Being a father during some tough economic times of the early 70’s was hard. TLW (The little Woman) and I had no inheritance, and although my grandmother offered to give me money for a down payment on a home, I refused her generosity. Why? Because I wanted to thank no one, do it on my own, and I felt none of my sisters were offered that opportunity.

Perhaps I was stupid to do so, but I felt that way, and still do. In some ways I feel it was a mistake, then there are times I thank God I did it that way. Living on Long Island is expensive. We live in a most expensive geographic area, and it is tough to make a living here and own a home. It’s been that way forever. TLW wanted to be near her parents, and so did I want her to. It was nice that my parents lived near by, too.

When we bought our first house, it was a small Tudor style cape, with a detached garage with a work pit, and a lot of overgrown ivy. The stuff plagued me for years. Between the house and Garage was our patio, where we entertained our two little children, our guests, and ourselves in the summer.

We had no dining room to speak of, a working kitchen with no table and chairs, and the bathroom was just off the dining room! It was what I could afford. I didn’t want TLW to work, we had two small infants, and we always had enough food on the table. God provided. As the years went on, and the little guys got a little older, things got better. But I will always remember and treasure those years in that house.

Riding the Long Island Railroad, every day for a couple of hours each way was tough. If I had to work late, it got tougher, because of the infrequency of the trains at late hours. I always tried to get home on time, around 6:30 PM. Leaving in the early morning, about 5:30 AM, made for a very long day. By the time I got home, I was too tired to even think. But I loved coming home to TLW. It was special to me. Just to see her when I walked in made today justifiable and tomorrow a little more bearable.

My two little kiddies were fast asleep in their own rooms, and I would sneak a peek and quietly sneak back down the steps, TLW holding her breath in fear I might awaken one or both!

Tomorrow: Raising a handicapped child, or: put up your dukes.

Please remember DD, and all that need our prayers

No comments: