Sunday, January 11, 2009

GOOD BYE!

Today is a sad day! My family and me dreaded this day. I know I can speak for all of them when I say that. We lost a sweet person, one that gave off light and kindness. Her name is Joan, and she is the older sister of my brother-in-law, Tom, from Connecticut.

Joan and I were my niece Katie’s godparents. We shared a special day together once, and she helped make it special. To be able to share a conversation with someone special is important to me. It helps to humanize who I am. It made me better as a person, maybe more whole. Joan had that effect on me; I’m willing to bet on everyone else, too.

You can cry sometimes for the injustice that exists in this world. Joan was cheated out of life by an insidious disease, one that plays havoc on not only the victim, but also the family and friends. It is the ugly cancer disease. I have asked you all to pray for Joan, and maybe the prayers are answered, she suffers no longer. I was hoping for a miracle and a full recovery. Now I pray that her family can recover. She was married to a wonderful man, named Don, who was so down to earth, he could go unnoticed, When Don passed on, she met a wonderful man named Ernie. Ernie had a lightness of heart, and a great spirit. He had to: he was with Joan. Now Joan’s children and Ernie, as all her family, her brother Tom and his family: are at a loss today.

Joan was a classy lady. Way back in 1986, when the Mets beat her Red Sox, she and I were at a family gathering. She mentioned the Mets winning, and I made a joke about the goat of the World Series, Bill Buckner. She had a good laugh and let it go at that. When she did, I realized that she could accept disappointment better than I could accept winning. In my mind, she won.

She leaves behind a lot of good memories about her, a brother and sister-law, Ernie who cared for her in her last days, 2 children and grandchildren. She also leaves behind many sad and cheated hearts, hearts filled with admiration for a wonderful woman.

We will miss you Joan, but not forget you.

Let’s give ourselves more toward prayers and hope for those who need them. People like a young 18-year old DD. I hear DD is now in a hospital fighting cancer. Here Mom says she is holding her own. You may not know DD, but know this: she is fighting for her survival, she is only 18, and has a lot to give to this world yet. Prayer for her and all those that need our love, hope and prayers, and pray that someday, it is not you, too.

1 comment:

Joanne said...

Joe,Thank you for writing about the passing of our beautiful friend Joan. I will treasure my memories of dancing with her all night at the Dzicek's weddings. May God bless her family.
Joanne