Saturday, January 24, 2009

ONGOING VIGILANCE!

My daughter Ellen has been suffering for months with cold like symptoms, which make her cough. A cat scan was done a while back, and the doctors discovered a small spot on the lower right lobe of her lung.

I went to the Center for Lung Cancer today at Stony Brook University Hospital after another cat scan.

Arriving at the parking lot, I could not find a parking space at first. This is a huge lot, with hundreds of spaces, all utilized. I became upset because I realized that most of these taken up spaces were for cancer patients! It made me angry that ˝God would let this happen. I noticed a lot of women walking from their cars, their heads down on a very pleasant winter day. No wind or cold temperatures, just sun and a comfortable temperature. I wondered how many were suffering from breast cancer, or lung cancer, or even brain cancer. My heart went out to them.

Meeting with the doctor filled me with foreboding, as I entered the building. Nervously, I approached the main desk in the lobby and announced myself. I asked where Ellen’s doctor would be, and waited. I must have shown my nervousness, since the gals behind the desk started to look concerned about me. I guess my voice was not very steady.

I went where they directed me and found the place. I took off my coat and waited. After about the third article in the New Yorker Magazine, whom do I see standing over me but my sweet daughter. She hadn’t seen me yet, so I jump up from my chair and we greeted each other. I got a long hard hug from that kid!

Soon they called my daughter’s name and in we went. When you first meet Ellen, you might think she understands enough to take orders. Ellen is very capable of giving orders, (and you darn better comply or else!) but she doesn’t understand many requests. I became her interpreter, ambassador, and bodyguard. We pretty much did as Ellen wanted, and the nurses and doctors just stepped aside until she decided to follow me!

The patient assistant sequestered us in this little examining room where Ellen could tell me she was happy to see me, no, she was NOT going to sit down, and let’s get the hell out of here, Daddy, or I will have to take matters in my own hands!

Finally, as a distraction, the doctor entered. Ellen eyed her, but was quiet as the doctor spoke.

We have good news! It is NOT cancer! The spot in her lung seems to be left over from pneumonia, and may have diminished in size. (Doctors like to use ‘diminish’). We will schedule another check-up in six months and do it all over again.

Dear God, I pray for the cure of cancer. Amen
Please remember DD, and all those that need our prayers.

2 comments:

Fran said...

I can't imagine how difficult the wait to hear the news must have been. I am so glad that it was good news! Thank God!
Love,
Fran

Anonymous said...

Joe, I'm sitting here in tears. But they are happy tears for you, TLW and especially sweet Ellen. HUGS!


Jan Spalding/PCH