Monday, January 05, 2009

THERE ARE NO EXCUSES


Now that the holidays are over, time to get back to reality. Back to routine and the usual, the humdrum of everyday living. No more holiday meals and desserts, no more visiting and wishing good things to people. Just TLW (The Little Woman) and me will try to stay the course until this coming holiday season.

It actually started about 10 minutes ago. TLW entered my studio where I am writing this with some clothing in her hand. She was saying: “Merry Christmas”! I thought maybe I didn’t hear her correctly, but I did! She had two shirts she had wanted to give me for Christmas but forgot. The look of confusion on her face reminded me that she is indeed married to me, and I usually do that to people.

I must admit that I am happy the season is over. Too much food and drinking, but not enough family is how I feel. I can’t look at anything with sugar in it, butter or any kind of heavy sauce. I could in fact, go back to bed and sleep the holidays off until March.

I only live for one holiday, Christmas Eve. (To all you politically correct; saying Holiday Eve somehow sucks!) It is one-day that brings me back to my youth, my Dad, my family.

Of course, watching my 90-year-old Mom, sitting across the table makes me smile. It reminds me that I still have to behave. If I don’t, I know that somewhere on her person is a wooden spoon, a tool for cooking and persuading me that I better stay in line. But even if she smacks me with it, she will in a heartbeat laugh a something I said. She never holds a grudge, just a wooden spoon!

I hope that you can enjoy the coming year as best you can. Remember that life is life, and blows will be handed out to us. We must remember that life is for the living. So, hang in there and stay alive and healthy.

Remember all those that need our hopes and prayers, like Joan and DD and all you know of.

No comments: