Friday, January 02, 2009

AH, THE TRADITION!


The holidays are over, and I am now settling into my recliner to stare at the TV and watch a Honeymooners episode or two, and then a bowl game or two. The sun is shinning into my den from my skylight. I, with me in mind, designed the den. It has a large skylight that faces the south, a large round top window that faces the sunset, and a vaulted ceiling. It opens to the kitchen and I can view the entranceway from my recliner. I can see who comes and goes, and I know what’s cooking. As the sun travels through the sky, it lights the room and warms it, throughout the day, until it sets.

Outside it, is16 degrees Fahrenheit, with the winter ground covered in ice and snow. The wind beating and swirling, keeps reminding me it is cold outside. But inside, the warmth of the family, the idea that TLW (The Little Woman) is about makes me content. My two sons drop by for a conversation with Mom or me or with each other.

My sense is one of a small joy, comfort and happiness. This is how I feel every New Year’s Day for the last 12 years! It has become a welcomed tradition, one that I carry on not only every New Year’s Day, but also every cold Sunday in the fall, winter and early spring. Life can be good!

I will soon get me a cup of tea, or a Jack Daniels Manhattan, and savor the moment with more intensity, more joy, and more contentment. I am warm and cozy in my overstuffed recliner. I hope you can experience this small joyful tradition, too.

Please remember those of us like Joan and DD, who need our prayers and hopes.

No comments: