Saturday, January 31, 2009

FLIGHT 1549


I was sitting home alone, just about ready to have a cup of tea. I decided to put the TV on as I sipped, and just relax from being retired.

Putting on my new favorite channel MLB, on 149, I grabbed the remote to make the change. Suddenly, there was “A SPECIAL NEWS BULLETIN” graphic. I stopped in my tracks and I waited.

The news commentator reported that a plane had gone down in the Hudson River! “Wow!” I thought. “I hope people are OK” was my second thought. Then there were live pictures of the plane crash and a small box describing the flight it was. It was from La Guardia to Charlotte, NC. I immediately thought of my baby sister, the airline stewardess. She was always flying around, often landing in Charlotte, NC!

I dial her cell phone and she answers!

“I’m fine Joe, I’m at my apartment.”

We talk and I tell her to stay out of the water, and to go back to using her broom to fly.

As the report continues, they finally identify the pilot, a real hero in my book.

His name: Chelsey B. Sullenberger III

In all due respect, if I had a name like ‘Chelsey”, I’d find something to do to make me a hero, too! Hell, I can’t do a damned thing with “Joseph’!

Please remember DD and all those who need our prayers. And let’s be thankful for all 150 some odd people from flight 1549, for their lives, and for US Airways pilot Chelsey B. Sullenberger III’s heroics.

No comments: