Sunday, November 25, 2007

GRIMACE AND BEAR IT, A CHILD OF THE 40’S AND 50’S

Today I will enter my last blog while here in LA, and then I will take Monday (Tomorrow) off and fly home. However I will take my back problem with me and grin and bear it.

Martyrdom does not sit well with me, since I have had the experience of growing up in the 40’s and 50’s, where life was somewhat harder than it is today, and we were told by our parents; “You think you have it hard?” I hated when they said that. Of course according to Dad, things were always done better, “Not like today.” Why yesterdays orange seeds “were as big as today’s oranges” and comparisons like that. You walked to school, and the only time you were driven was in an ambulance because you couldn’t walk. “Ma, I got two broken legs, puss coming out of my belly button, a headache, one arm fell off, and I’m spiting blood!” “Oh, you’ll be fine, take an aspirin and go to school.”

Chores were serious business. Mom wasn’t getting involved in anyone’s mess, she sent you in to “clean it up” or else! Dad had a litany of items that needed “Taken care of before I get back”, and when done, you better check it twice, or be dumbed down. When it came to doing chores, no one would get in each other’s way, because the chore would bowl you over by the “Choree” so to speak.

We didn’t own a car in the city of Brooklyn, no one really did. When my dad did own one, it was parked for weeks at a time, never moving, and eventually becoming first or third base in a stick ball game. We walked everywhere! The other day, #1 Son and I where looking to get to the LA County Museum of Art, and asked someone the best direct way to get there. This woman offered up, it’s a long walk, about seven tenths of a mile! Seven tenths of a mile! I walk that when I go to the toilet in the middle of the night, and don’t remember the trip! We walked to school, church, the movies, and the stores, everywhere, no buses or cabs or subways, just our two feet. Do you think we minded?

Darn right we did.

Our parents came of the depression of the 30’s and the war of the 40’s and the Korean conflict, so trouble was always staring them in the face. Hardship was nothing new; sacrifice was a way of life. You didn’t waste; you hardly spent, and just barely made ends meet. So they decided; “if I had to suffer, so will these little bastards.”

So with aching back, I say adieu to you. So long LA for now, see you later allegator, goodbye, you are a gem on the Pacific.

You did it in LA, now do it on the blogosphere, tell delbloggolo to “GET OUT”
Tell him how your offended sensibilities are feeling better in LA, and will if he goes away period. Write to: joedelbroccolo@yahoo .com

PS Look for an exciting array of delbloggolo goodies for your enjoyment and my enrichment, at the delbloggolo blogstore.

No comments: