Wednesday, November 28, 2007

I-POD, AYE, YIE- YIE- YIE- YIE-!

LA is a young person’s town. Young up and coming people, vital and interesting, inhabit all the streets and restaurants, cafes and Laundromat’s. It almost has the vitality of New York City, without the rush and bustle that makes New York what it is.

Judging by the impact of the writer’s strike, it is strictly an entertainment city. The movie stars and starlets, along with the studios, make for a tourist attraction, and someone like myself, born and bred in the big East, subconsciously looks to find a movie star around every corner, in every elevator, stopping at every light.

But the big star of this town is; the I-Pod devices one sees almost on every individual encountered. It has taken over like a hit song, or a popular TV show, everyone knows about them, knows how they work, and owns one, maybe even a second or third generation I-Pod!

The other night, #1 Son and I were walking back from dinner, and as we strolled by a café, two young ladies sat outside having drinks, and on the table in front of one was an I-Pod, lit up, as she awaited either a call or text message. Yesterday I was peeking out #1 Son’s apartment window, when I spotted two young women, walking in the same direction about 10 or 12 feet apart. Guess what. They were walking with their phones in their ears.

I am wondering, as even #1 son mentioned, what is happening to emails and phone calls? I know the emails are a vast improvement over snail mail, and have changed the course of instant communication, but is it now becoming obsolete? Are the emails poorly written and too quickly done when one is written at all? Text messages have become a short hand instant communication device that lacks personality, and seems awfully cold when communicating. What is happening to the art of talking?

Not owning an I-Pod myself, I barely use my cell-phone, do people find there is no longer solitude, privacy or even a chance of not being found? Have we imprisoned ourselves to the phenomena of instant communication? Will I someday enter a public restroom and hear a private conversation over one of the urinals?

Think this blog is no phenomena? Send a nasty email (no text messages, please) to:
joedelbroccolo@yahoo.com
Tell him, if I wanted YOUR opinion I would have asked. Shut up.

No comments: