Saturday, November 24, 2007

OW, OW, OW… OR MY BACK WON’T BACK DOWN

Today, like yesterday is misery day, a day devoted to grimacing, wincing and looking like a student from the Barbizon School of modeling learning to walk with a book on her head. As I try to walk or sit, and the pain in my back shouts out at me; “Hey, stop!” as I try to keep my head upright and my back straight. Because of the discomfort, I missed a movie with MFF (My Favorite Fan, Laura) and friends.

Thinking about the flight home on Monday, I will be in the air for six hours, and about two hours of layover in Pheonix, I dread the thought of the whole ordeal with this back. Then the wonderful geniuses at Southwest Airlines will help my day along with their free-for-all boarding policy. They create lines, with letters, and your ticket has one of four letters; (A), (B), (C) and (W) which is my designation. The letters are on your boarding pass, but you have no seat assignment, so you get on according to your place in the alphabet as stated on your ticket. The “W” designation (mine) stands for wing, and is where I should wind up again, as there are no seat assignments, I usually wind up between two really portly guys, and have to sit sideways because shoulder to shoulders doesn’t fit.

When I take off, and the wheels pull up and I am in the air, I will say goodbye to beautiful LA, to my Son and all the wonderful people I met and know, my friends forever. If you’ve seen me here, come to New York and see me there, I will welcome you all with open arms and treat you like the royalty you guys really are. Thanks for the pleasure of knowing you and in some cases your children. Thanks for the memories as Bob Hope used to say.

I plan to come back, and this time I will try to bring TLW (The Little Woman), where we can enjoy visiting with #1 Son, bringing along #2 Son, we will have a great time, as I try to defend myself from the two bozos as they take me apart for whatever I say or might do. Usually they laugh at me because I’m not “NOW” but I enjoy the banter.

My target this time will be Pasadena, where TLW will fall in love with a city as she has never before. Just passing through it inspires one to want to stop and explore, with interesting people bouncing up and down the streets in a purposeful manner, their noses aimed at something, with something to do. By the way, I miss TLW. I wish she could meet everyone I met, I know she would be impressed by #1 Son’s friends, too.

Tired of hearing an old man whine? Write to; joedelbroccolo@yahoo.com, tell him,
“Here, whine this.”

Tomorrow: GRIMACE AND BEAR IT, A CHILD OF THE 40’S AND 50’S.

1 comment:

Laura L-V said...

When you bring TLW to Pasadena, you guys should check out Huntington Garden - it's beautiful:

http://www.huntington.org/

Hope your back feels better.

"Thanks for the memory - How lovely it was!"
Laura