Tuesday, December 14, 2010

BAH!


It’s just a lot of humbug.

My garbage-men are full of it!

Every week, for 50 weeks, they arrive in my neighborhood, and take my trash, along with my patience away. When they are done on my block, it looks like a war zone. The empty garbage cans are tossed to the sidewalk, bouncing as they do back into the middle of the street, or to someone else’s property.

If you dare to drive down the road after they are finished, what you have is an obstacle course of garbage cans, which lay in front of you, making you zigzag through the neighborhood. Remember the 60’s and Tiny Tim’s tiptoe through the tulips? Well I sing: “We’ll tip toe, around the garbage cans with meeeeeheeee!

Then as you drive through the hood, there is the issue of who owns the road, the garbage truck or the town! It usually stops in the middle of the street, making it nearly impossible to pass by, while Chico and Miguel are scampering around with the garbage, leaving some of it on the street, most of it left in the can, and maybe they find that big hole in the truck for an empty coffee cup!

Then for two weeks in December, right before Christmas time, things suddenly change! As you look down the street, you see all the empty garbage cans, lined up like sentries in front of each house! The cadets at West Point could take a lesson from Chico or Miguel in the proper order for muster.

Why these phenomena, you ask? Surely you jest.

THE FRIGGIN HOLIDAY HANDOUT IS WHY!

And, TLW (The Little Woman) makes me go nuts trying to catch the team of Chico and Miguel to hand them the envelope and say: “¡Feliz Navidad!”
“Ah, Gracias, Gringo!”

2 comments:

Jim Pantaleno said...

It's a Christmas miracle.

Anonymous said...

I too found my garbage cans neatly
lined up with a card from them
reminding me I have three wise men
to tip this year. Jose, Jose, and
Jose. I swear I can't make this up.
Pat