Tuesday, December 21, 2010

A POLISH BIRTHDAY, ANTHEM… AND SOME PORK CHOPS!


Well it’s that time of year when so many things happen at once, so I decided to forget them and write about what is on MY mind. Obviously you can’t put much on my mind, it is getting weaker by the day!

Today is the Polish Prince of Connecticut’s birthday. Tom, another beleaguered brother-in-law of mine celebrates a birthday today. Being married to Nippy, he now can qualify for SSI along with combat pay! Happy birthday Tom!

Speaking about pork chops, many years ago, when he was dating my sister, he managed to find a radio station that played Polish music. It was a Saturday afternoon, and we were riding home from Shea Stadium on the LIE, when Tom pulled over and stood by the side of his car with his hand on his heart, and the radio blearing. I asked my sister what was happening, and she said to “shush, they are playing the Polish-American National Anthem!”

It goes like this:

“From the border of Massachusetts to the Great South Bay,
With a kielbasa we will walk, run or hop.
Our pirogues may be cooled from a cold but sunny day,
But God bless America, we can still heat up the pork chop!

Buy me a pork chop,
buy me a pork chop,
buy me a pork chop, hey!”


At least that is all I can recall it sounding like, but it was touching to see Tom stand there, with a miniature American and Polish flag.

And so people, I must get back to the real world of wrapping presents for myself, since no one will wrap them for me!

And HAPPY BIRTHDAY TOM!

No comments: