Friday, December 03, 2010

‘TIS DA SEASON!


Tra la la la la etc., etc.

Yes, that happy time of the year. The one we all can’t wait for, the one that cost a fortune in time and money, the one that leaves you so sick of it, you wonder why?

This magical season, I am actually ahead. I got my main present for TLW (The Little Woman), got all the labels printed up, and even plans for a few friends.

I remember the good old days, when Mom would make her Christmas Eve dinner. My Dad and I would tag along to the fishmonger, and the vegetable store for some good old fashion loving Christmas Eve dinner. The day was usually grey and damp, and always cold. It made for the coming evening that would be warm and cheerful.

Dad had a gallon of wine: usually his favorite, Villa Armondo, and a bottle of scotch for my uncle Joe who claimed he knew his scotch. So to test that theory one year, dad had an empty bottle of Johnny Walker Black that he filled with a cheap scotch and my uncle, the scotch drinker, drank it and praised the works of Johnny Walker! Uncle Joe was a bit of a know it all, but he was amusing. (Reference the scotch).

Traditions die hard in my family, like my older sister Tess. (Much older) who started a thing many years ago. Dad would buy a Christmas tree, we would decorate it for the most part, then Tessie, after tossing her tinsel would knock it down! Every year, without fail, after that event, I would learn a new Italian swear word. Mom would say: “Anthony, it’s Christmas, and not in front of the kids!” I would chime in, “Yeah Dad, not in front of the kids! What did that mean by the way?”

Today, with the way we have separated form each other, who lives in Florida, or California, it isn’t a given that we will always see our kids or relatives over the holidays. But I will keep the tradition going. I will continue to leave the box of ornaments outside the front door, so that when someone comes in, they can pick one out and bring it inside and stick it somewhere.

Be nice, it’s Christmas.

To all you politically corrected:
MERRY CHRISTMAS!”

This is my blogue, so NO friggen happy holidays crap. You want a happy holiday? I’ll give ya a happy holiday.

You talking to me????

2 comments:

Jim Pantaleno said...

I like the idea of the box of ornaments at the door. I may steal it.

Michele DePalo said...

Atta boy! You tell 'em, Joe! Merry Christmas to you and yours, as well.