Monday, December 20, 2010

GET ALONG LITTLE DOGGIE



You remember that phrase back in the cowboy movies of the past? The cowboy would corral all the cattle on his horse and say that? Stupid cowboy: didn’t know they were cows. Didn’t it ever occur to him that not one of them could role over or play dead, or even fetch?

Well, I felt that way the other day, as I got my orders from TLW (The Little Woman).

“Go pick up the boys.”

“Why?”

“BECAUSE IT’S CHRISTMAS!”

“Oh! OK.”

This is good, she makes all the dishes I miss, stocks the house with cookies, and other goodies, and I am very happy. She also gives me the opportunity to make some killer dishes myself, stuff I usually don’t make anymore.

Speaking of cookies, I have to bake some cookies for the holidays. I was thinking of those pecan crescents, but also some kind of butter cookie, and maybe some treats with caramel and chocolate in them. Also I make walnut and pecan bread. I freeze it and we have it over the New Year’s holiday as well as Christmas morning. One year I made those tri-colored Italian cookies! Good stuff!

But I miss those cookies my mother always made. The honey balls, with the sprinkles, and the fat round dome shaped cookies with the white sugar icing and sprinkles. These were out all season, and you ate them constantly, with coffee, milk or liquors, it went with it all.



Being how we will be going to my nieces house for Christmas day, I will miss the lasagna and prime ribs I like to have for Christmas day. This is a welcomed change from all the fish the night before. I know TLW will bring the lasagna to my nieces house, and in the process will call me ‘Garfield’ the comic strip cat.

So we will get back to basics, the kids home for the holidays, and one last fling as the complete family unit, because next year we expand, and may or may not have #1 Son home with us. But that is next year’s blog, if I’m still here.

No comments: